Tourist places Near Ananthapur
Ananthapur is also called as Anantapuramu which is a headquarters of the Datta mandalam, the city gained importance for the British army during World War II. Anantapur is located at a distance of 356km from Hyderabad, and the city is located on the National Highway 44.
Penna Ahobilam Narasimha Swamy Temple
Penna Ahobilam is located 12km from Uravakonda and 36km from the Ananthapur. Penna Ahobilam Narasimha Swamy temple was built on the bank of river penna, and the temple is 2800 feet above from the sea level. It is believed that the temple was built on Lord Narasimha Swamy’s footprint which is of 5 feet and 3inches and the other footprint is located on Ahobilam temple in Kurnool. In 1472 A.D, king of Vijayanagara Empire called Sadashivarya built a big statue of lord and temple. Near the foot, there will be a tunnel through which all the theertha of abhishekam goes to the river Penna so there is no theertha in the temple. There is another temple called Udhbava Mahalakshmi temple in which goddess Lakshmi is sprouting from the rock (undhbavam), the king of Vijayanagaram built this temple. Narasimha Bugga is a place where water emanating from the roots of a tree, it is believed that Lord Narasimha Swamy washed his hands in this place after killing the demon king Hiranya kasyapa.
ISCON temple in Ananthapur is very beautiful when compared to other ISKCON temples around the world. The temple is in the shape of a horse-drawn chariot and there will be four horse statues in front of the temple, and the temple is called as Radha Parthasarathy temple. The temple was started in February 2008. The temple located in a village called Somaladoddi and the temple is dedicated to Lord Sri Krishna. The temple will be more beautiful at night, due to the lightings.
Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy temple was dedicated to Lord Shiva and the temple is located at Tadipatri and situated on the bank of the River Penna. The temple is 4km from the Tdipatri railway station. The temple was built during the Saluva dynasty of Vijayanagara Kingdom. It was constructed during the periods of 1409 and 1509; it was built by Ramalinga Nayudu who is a chieftain of the Vijayanagara Kingdom, the temple got its name by the perennial underground water stream from which water flows continuously and reaches the Lingam, it was believed that sage Parashurama stayed at this place and performed the meditation. One can see the entire Shiva Purana is carved on the walls of the temple along with some important episodes of Ramayana and Mahabaratha. It was also believed that the water level of River Penna reaches the statue, the entire Tadipatri will be drowned and that leads to the end of the town.
Ananthapur Clock Tower
The Clock tower was located at the center of Anantapur and it was built in the memory of Indian freedom movement. Its radius is 15 feet which signify the date 15th and it has 8 faces which mean the eighth month of the year that is August, whereas the height of the clock tower is 47 feet which means the year 1947.
Ravadurg Gooty Fort
Gooty fort is located on the hilltop of Gooty and also called as Ravadurg fort. The fort was first under the control of chalukya king Vikramaditya VI and later came under the control of Vijayanagara Empire during the reign of Venkata II and then took the rights over the fort by the Mughals. Thereafter Maratha general, Murari Rao captured the fort and repaired it. Later the fort came under the control of East India Company, its administrator Thomas Munro was buried at the cemetery which is located at the foothill. The fort is located on the hills which are 680m above from the sea level.
Lepakshi Temple was built in the 16th Century; it is one of the centrally protected national monuments. The main attraction of the temple is Nandi which is 200m away from the temple and craved with a single block of stone and the temple is in the shape of a tortoise. It is situated 35km from the penukonda in Anantapur district. The temple was built in 1540 by the brothers called Virupanna nayaka and Viranna who were worked under the kings of Vijayanagara. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva with an image of Veerabhadra which is decorated with skulls. It was believed that sage Agasthya is lived there in a cave chamber when he installed the Linga. A huge Nandi was built with granite stone in 30feet length and bedecked with bells and garlands. One can see the paintings in the ceiling of the muka mantpa and you can also see the hooded serpent naaga shading the lingam sculpture and giant footprint of Lord Hanuman inside the temple premises.